Wednesday 13 November 2013

Places and dreams

Every now and again I have a little daydream about places I really want to go. There are some I've visited before, but not enough, and want to go back to. Mostly they're in the UK - I've never been a globetrotter - but one or two more far flung.

So I'd love to go back to

Copenhagen
Salzburg
The Setesdal in Norway

The New Forest (there's so much of it, and so much wildlife, and the villages around it are pretty)
Kingussie (red squirrels)
North Wales, and especially Anglesey (beaches, landscapes, historical Christian sites and more red squirrels)
Norfolk - people in the UK tend to make rude remarks about Norfolk. Yes, really. But we've only been there once, for Tony's ordination in Norwich, and we'd like to go back. The skies are big in Norfolk.
Wells. A fairytale city. The Bishop's Palace has a moat round it, with swans and ducks swimming about, and the Cathedral is stunning.

And I've never been to the Channel Islands or the Scillies, and that's on the list. I had a delightful letter recently from a reader on the Isle of Skye, and that would be good, too - I've been there once, just on a day trip when I was something-teen.

Switzerland.

Brussels (by the way, Tony, are you reading this?)

And there are places I don't want to go to because it would be so sad if the reality wasn't up to what I'd imagined. Venice looks so lovely and romantic but I suspect it would disappoint. Paris, too.

This leaves me thinking about story landscapes. Where would I like to go? Apart from Mistmantle and Narnia, of course. I don't think I'd like Never-never-land. I'd love to live in Lucy Boston's 'Green Knowe'. What about you? Places and dreams?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. How are you Margret? I'm doing good. Well, I went to a writing siminar. I felt soooo awkward. I wanted to show her ( the author who was talking ) some of my work and ask her questions about publishing ( which I never got to ask her questions). I was hoping that I could contact her like I do you. yeah, Im wanting to get more writer friends and people who could help me with editing and publishing.

margaret mcallister said...

Hi Sam! Does the author have a website where you could contact her?

Unknown said...

No. I can't contact her. :( she dosnt have her email on her website. )