Thursday 25 June 2015

Steps

Did you know that we're ideally supposed to walk ten thousand steps a day? Six thousand is OK, but we're really supposed to do ten thousand. Having looked up some stuff on-line I find that, as a woman with little short legs I do about 2,500 steps to the mile. Home to the town centre/church is about a mile, so there and back I've done half my quota. Most of us do a surprising number of steps just pottering about the house, school or office, before we even start on the garden. I do twice as many as anyone else because I go into a room, forget what I went for, come out empty-handed, remember something different... you get the picture.

Our church being a bit historic and amazing, we get a lot of visitors, including school parties, and we do our best for them. On Monday I walked down to church ready to meet, greet and guide. We had a school party arriving at one o'clock, and divided them into five small groups so that they could move around five activities. (Did I mention the flagstone floors?) Five times I did the walk and talk and dressing up stuff. I pottered, pattered, pittered, and I was puttering out by the time they got back on the bus. Quick coffee. Home. Good day.

Later that evening I wondered why my legs hurt. I had been on my feet for four hours. That must be ten thousand steps and a head start on Tuesday.

Much says it's ridiculous. He says he never walks anywhere if he can go by snail, and his muscles are rock hard. Even his bulging stomach is solid, as are his idle little legs in their pixie boots. Yes, Much, but I'm not a gnome. Not even my legs are that short.

No comments: