Tuesday 19 May 2015

Coffee

This is not an enlightening story, and not a very pretty one. And it disproves the theory that coffee keeps you awake.

Sunday was a long day. Tony was out all day, so the Sunday lunch was the Sunday evening meal, and afterwards I curled up in a corner of the settee with a good book and a cup of black coffee. Hamilton Bear, in his yellow sweater and white trousers, nestled in beside me and The Archers drifted past. (For those who want to know, Ed and Emma are getting married, Will still isn't speaking to Ed and Kenton still isn't speaking to David. Robert Snell and Jim, two of the most boring men in Middle England, are into competitive bird watching.) I was not aware of drifting into sleep - I suppose sleep and competitive bird watching are indistinguishable. Then past my ear stole the sound of tum-ti-tum-ti-tum-ti-tum, and I realised I had dozed off. And my mug of coffee was still in my hand. Well, some of it was. A little coffee can go a long way when no longer under the control of a responsible adult.

The settee is dark colours and doesn't show a thing, so that was all right, but Hamilton, dearly loved and respected bear, is a white bear in white trousers. I debagged him at once and found that the trousers had taken the worst of it. Hamilton was soon cleaned up and was really very nice about it, but so far I haven't been able to get the coffee stain out of his trousers. Anybody know? I may just knit him some more, maybe in a different colour.

Which leads me to wonder - could it be that Hamilton didn't really like his white trousers? Is he trying to tell me...? Could he possibly have...?

2 comments:

Songmorning said...

Poor Hamilton! (Or lucky Hamilton, depending on which theory you go with.) I had a toy mole named Grumm who got peed on by my cat once. Grumm spent the next few months nestled in mint and lilac, and sitting out in the yard for some fresh air.

It's nice to know you still snuggle with your stuffed animals too. Except my stuffed animals are Lugg the Mole, Padra the Otter, and Sepia the Squirrel. (And Bentley Pyepyepye Chifundo, the friendly Zambian Spider, but that's a different story.)

margaret mcallister said...

Mint and lilac! He must have smelt beautiful. When I go to talk to people about Mistmantle I take Lugg and Mother Huggen and a little squirrel call Scrapple who never stops talking. I'm glad the spider is friendly.