Sunday 16 June 2013

Shock

Housework is dangerous. I'm still shaking.

It's not something I do a lot of, but yesterday I decided to remind the house that I live in it, and it needed a clean, especially after I'd changed the thingy in the hoover and it blew dust everywhere. Now, our old CD/radio thing died a while ago and Tony replaced it with a much smaller, neater and cleverer one with a digital radio. The only thing is that it's very sensitive and has little blue lights on the top that know things. Touch them, and it changes channels without a by your leave.

Now, that radio likes BBC Radio Four. I know it does, because I told it to. Tony's study is a Classical Music zone because that's his thing.

Knowing how delicate the new radio is I only showed it a cloth, but that was enough. One minute somebody on Radio 4 was talking about sleep, which is a favourite subject of mine and then a blast of sound knocked the living daylights out of me. One flick of a duster and it was blaring out Eric Coates, and if you don't know about Eric Coates he wrote loud jolly marches all about loud jolly people galumphing through London with names like Merrily down the Mall and Kensington Canter, and it came on at such a volume! Something like the Household Cavalry taking Piccadilly at a rising trot was careering round my sitting room and could I stop them? I turned it off, turned it on again, they were still there, wheeling round ready to take the jumps and then...

and then I found the right button, just in time before they could advance on Parliament. And what would they do there? The Members' Mayhem?

No comments: