Thursday 19 January 2012

And LOS said...

Papermate. That was the brand name of the pen in question, and I couldn't remember it when I was writing the blog the other day. He was impressed to know that it's still going.

I'm having a mahoosive declutter just now, and take a pride in how much stuff I can get rid of. The charity shops will love me. (The bin men won't). Yesterday I started on two cupboards that hadn't been done for some considerable time - the medicine cupboard and the cleaning cupboard.

I promise you, the meds were breeding in there. I threw away bucketloads of cough pastilles, migraine remedies that didn't work, and things for peculiar digestions. All were way past their date and some could have been donated to a folk museum. I'm very glad we didn't need them, but I'm mortified to think of the money I've spent on them over the years.

The cleaning cupboard was much more fun. I unearthed a few potions that I'd forgotten I had. I found the stuff that hides white ring marks on furniture and the little squishy thing that takes marks off wallpaper. I'm now crouched at the top of the stairs, with the white ring stuff in one hand and the little squishy thing in the other, waiting for somebody in grubby overalls to put down a hot coffee cup and lean against the wall.

Now, I don't know if the US readers are familiar with peddlers, or pedlars - they sell cleaning things door to door. It used to be a bit disreputable, but now they all have to be licensed, and many of them are working as peddlers because they don't have much else going for them. Normally if anyone tries to sell things at the door they get a bite on the ankles from Much, but I make an exception for peddlers. They always have something that'll come in useful.

I discovered that I have been a great customer of the peddlers. I found three chamois leathers, two ironing board covers, a pack of pan scourers, a washing line, and a thing to stop the fridge smelling onions. And I don't keep onions in the fridge.

No comments: