Tuesday 20 December 2011

Out of the Blue

There it was, in the inbox, taking me completely by surprise. It was an email from somebody I was at school with who'd tracked me down via the internet. I haven't seen her since I was eighteen.

Of course, for the last two days we've exchanged emails about the past. Some of it would be embarrassing if it wasn't funny - how we were always writing plays and stories, and embroidering pictures, our obsession with Rudolf Nureyev, and later - sorry about this - Marc Bolan. Well, we were young and silly. There were many things at school that made me unhappy, so it was good to be reminded of the fun we had. She came with me and my family on holiday in Scotland one year, and reminded me of all the fish we caught, much to the amazement of the local big hairy-armed fishermen. She's made me think that perhaps I didn't waste quite as much time in my teens as I thought.

But what is much more exciting is catching up with where we are now. She is now doing vital work with children in need of help, and I'm doing the job I've always wanted to do. We both have families. Life has taken unexpected twists and turns for both of us, but now, we both love where we are. We're planning to meet up in the New Year. What a great feeling.

No comments: