Saturday 19 November 2011

Today, I...

turned out a bedroom

sorted out a problem with a story, I'm not sure how I did it, but I think it works

took a sideways look at another story which might get itself in order if it thinks I'm not watching it

played the piano very badly

and started on the Advent Calendars. Real, old-fashioned Advent Calendars, with beauty, wonder, sparkle and no chocolates. A week tomorrow is Advent Sunday.

And tomorrow is Stir-up Sunday, the last Sunday of the church's year. It's the day when we are called to stir up our hearts, our minds and our Christmas puddings. We're a practical lot in the Church of England. (Well, most of us are...)

I don't like to start preparing for Christmas too early, but I like even less to be flying about like a pinball in the last week, so some presents are bought while others are being seriously thought about. This leads me to my next question - a certain young lady I know has asked Father Christmas for 'a wooden doll, one that you can dress and undress'. I've seen little doll's house wooden dolls, but I think she means a proper doll sized one. I've searched the net. Even the doll museum shops have nothing of the kind. There's a great guy in Derbyshire called Rob Roy who does wooden toys, but not even he seems to sell quite what is called for.

And, yes, at four years old she does know what she means by wood. She plays a lot with wooden toys, and loves them. I admire her taste, but I think Father Christmas might be stumped by this one - unless anyone knows of a Christmas elf somewhere making wooden dolls that you can dress and undress? Any website addresses would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Try Wooden Dutch Doll or Wooden Peg Doll. These are jointed wooden dollies. The one's I saw were made by Eric Horne at erichorne.co.uk/
Amazon has a lovely wooden doll family from Melissa & Doug at melissaanddoug.com/
What a fun search you're on!!

Deborah said...

I found another one. Google Raikes wooden doll. This may be what you want. I think you'll have to find these on the secondary market. The one I saw was Raikes wooden doll - Juliet Christening doll. They are hand carved and just beautiful!

margaret mcallister said...

Thanks very much for all that searching, Deborah, it's really kind of you! I went to an old-fashioned toyshop in Covent Garden and they had wooden dolls, but they're expensive and too delicate for a four year old. I checked out the Raikes dolls and Eric Horne's, and they are beautiful. Expensive, but very reasonable for the craftsmanship. I've learned a lot, and yes, it is fun!

I think her father likes the Rob Roy ones best so far. Whatever it is, I suspect I'll be making clothes for it!