Thursday 6 October 2011

Grrrr

Yesterday I had a great afternoon, meeting Claire and going to the theatre to see Othello - and a very good production it was. We parted on a pleasant autumn afternoon. Two hours later I got off the train to a dark evening with rain pounding down the valley. And, as I'd missed the local train by two minutes, I'd had to get the express, which stops about a mile from home and walk back. As there was a music practice this evening, it was a case of changing into dry clothes and going straight out again. By the way, I went out wearing a light raincoat. By the time I got into our street I knew from the damp feeling across the shoulders that it wasn't a raincoat at all, it was a shower coat. It is still drying as I speak. I went out to Music Group wearing the winter coat which has been hanging up since March.

This morning was Toddler Group, and a pleasant morning. Winter coat? Ridiculous. Light jacket. But coming home... oh, you guessed.

Somewhere in my life I must have really offended a Weather Pixie. It wasn't just valley rain sweeping down the road to meet me, it was hailstones, and a raging wind that nearly knocked me over as I turned through the gate. For the second time in less than 24 hours I was soaked to the skin. Never mind, dry clothes again, hot drink, lunch, back to work...

to write a scene about a boy who just had to swim across a lake fully dressed and then walk home dripping wet. Couldn't even write myself warm and dry.

2 comments:

Rina said...

Glad to hear that the writing, at least, is getting itself along... and hope you dry out soon!

margaret mcallister said...

I didn't really feel warm until later that evening, after a long soak in a hot bath! Hot baths are one of my favourite things - I seem to recall that for a lot of tired, cold or distressed animals in Mistmantle, a hot bath was provided.