Friday 19 August 2011

fables, frogs and foxes

Here at the House of Stories we are getting a bit excited. The next book is coming out in September, though it isn't strictly my book, as it's a retelling of some old stories. Those lovely people at Lion Hudson Publishing asked me to do some retellings of Aesop's Fables.

At first, I had my doubts. Aesop's stories always seemed a bit stern and preachy to me. And then I realised that this was exactly why I should retell them, because I don't do stern and preachy. The stories themselves would be strong enough to hold their ground while I danced around with them. So I wrote the collection, and Lion commissioned Amanda Hall to do the illustrations. They are breathtaking. She's especially good at animals. The frogs make me laugh, and the foxes have a real glint in their eyes. This is the most beautiful book I have ever been part of, and I'm greatly looking forward to you seeing it.

And I said I'd tell you more about the holiday. The new theatre at Stratford-on-Avon is a great achievement, and if you get the chance, go. (And if you have to cross the river to get there, go on the foot ferry, which is basically a platform with a chain underneath it and a chap turning a handle.) We saw a very original and funny production of Midsummer Night's Dream which never flagged, had some memorable performances, and still had us laughing as we left the theatre.

I won't tell you the name of the little Methodist chapel we attended the next morning. Bless! I think it was put under a spell fifty years ago and stayed there. I sat in the pew and thought - why do I have a handbag like a grown up lady? And grown up clothes? How come my feet touch the floor?

2 comments:

Rina said...

NEW BOOK!!! Congradulations - that's something I'll have to pick up!

margaret mcallister said...

Not sure when it comes out in the US, but I know the publishers intend it to go there!