Thursday 11 June 2009

hamilton's friends

When Hamilton had been with us for a year, I felt he needed a little friend/teddy bear of his own, so I bought a very small bear with a crocheted hat and sweater from a charity shop. We called him Little, because he is. We soon found out that Little wasn't content to sit on a chair with Hamilton. We found him on the tops of bookshelves, climbing up furniture, and exploring the television, but Hamilton was fine with that. The next year, daughter bought Cuddles, who isn't exactly a bear, more of a critter. And magnetic.

After that, they all just kept arriving. Flora turned up one Mothering Sunday. Funt - an elephant - was something to do with a promotion at Boots. Shamble Claret arrived attached to a bottle of wine, and Bobby (named after Bobby Robson) simply held out his arms to daughter from a shelf and couldn't be resisted. Snoopy had been around for a while, but re-appeared, and I can't remember where Rowlf came from.

Somebody once asked my husband if we collected them, and he replied, 'They collect each other.' That started me thinking, and when I worked out what was happening and talked to Hamilton, he said he'd thought I'd always known.

What was the secret? Keep reading.

No comments: